Skip to main content

Check In

If you are an F-1 or a J-1, you must check in with the OIS within 10 days of your arrival at Fordham. Checking in with us is absolutely necessary and is the first thing you must do to maintain your legal status here in the US. You cannot check in if you are outside the US.

If you do not check in, your F-1 or J-1 status will be in jeopardy. Therefore, it is in your best interest to check in as soon as possible after you arrive in New York.

There are two ways you can complete the check-in requirement - online or in person.

Note: if you are a J-1 scholar or professor, you must come to the office (option 2), you cannot check in online (option 1).

Online Check In

The online check-in is composed of 2 simple parts. You must complete both parts (A and B) in order to be considered checked in.

Note: Do not check in if you are still outside the US. You must have entered the US in order to check in!

  1. Complete this online check in form.
  2. Send the following documents to
    • A copy of your current F-1 or J-1 visa page AND the adjacent page
    • Your I-94 record, if you are able to retrieve it. Please see the bottom of this page for info about the I-94 (the I-94 is recommended for your check-in, but it is not required)

The subject line of your email must read: Your family name, your first name, your Fordham ID, Check In. For example, if your family name is Doe and your given name is John, then the subject line of your email should read:

“Doe, John, A12345678 Check In”

All Documents must be sent in PDF format. We will not accept any other document types.  We will contact you if we have any questions about your documents or your check-in form.  We will not send an email once your check-in has been processed, so after you complete steps A and B, you can consider your check-in complete unless you receive an email from us.

Note: If you are a F1 Transfer student and you did not leave the US before starting the semester, if you check in online, we will email you once your new I-20 is ready for pick-up.


In-person Check In

We prefer that you check in online. However if you are not able to complete the process online, you may come to the office for an in-person check in. You must bring:

  • Your passport
  • Your I-94 record (see the bottom of this page for more info about the I-94)

NOTE: If you are a F1 Transfer student and you did not leave the US before starting the semester, if you check in in-person, we will notify by email when your new I-20 is ready.  We will not provide the I-20 when you come to the office to check-in.

I-94 Record

The I-94 records the date and purpose of your entry into the U.S., and the length of time that you are allowed to stay here. As F-1 and J-1 students, you are allowed to stay here for as long as it takes for you to finish your studies. This is called Duration of Status (D/S). Make sure that the Admit Until Date on your I-94 says "D/S"!

The I-94 used to be a small white card that was issued to you each time you entered the U.S., and collected each time you left. Now, the officer at the airport records your entry electronically using your passport, so the I-94 record is now an electronic document. You must go online to obtain your I-94, and you should print a copy for your records.
The website to obtain your I-94 is We also provide instructions on how to retrieve your I-94 record.

When entering your information, make sure to enter your name exactly as it appears on your passport. If you are not able to obtain your I-94, try ALL possible combinations of your name.

If you have tried all possible combinations, but cannot obtain your I-94, please contact us.
If you received a paper I-94 (small white card) upon entry, you must contact us as soon as possible.

Notifying Us for Address Changes

It is necessary for you to inform us of any changes to your information.

You must tell us where you are living. Immigration regulations require us to report your US address and ensure that it is up-to-date. Please verify/update your address at and follow these steps:

  1. Login
  2. Select the Student tab on the top left
  3. Select the Student Accounts tab under My Account
  4. Select the Personal Information tab on the top left
  5. Select Update Addresses and Phones

Permanent Address: Current address in home country
Non-University Local Address: Current US local address
Billing: Address where you want any bills mailed to
Mailing: Address where you want all correspondence/mail from the University mailed to

If you live off-campus, you must enter a Non-University Local Address, even if you enter a mailing or billing address.

If you do not yet know your off-campus US local address or are still looking for an apartment, please enter the address where you are currently staying, and then follow the instructions above to change your address as soon as you have found an apartment